Sunday, September 30, 2007

Blessed Boats?


This scene caught the corner of my eye as I was speeding by in Gander Bay, Newfoundland, and my family almost went flying out the windshield as I stomped on the brakes! I reached for my old Minolta SRT101, loaded with Kodachrome 25, and was out the door in an instant leaving my family wondering just what I was up to now. The freshly painted boats in the church yard was a departure from the usual grave stones, and I could not help but think of the fishermen who toiled in these boats, and their respect for the ocean, and their faith in the creator of all. I have since seen more recent photos of this same church, and it is so sad to see the sorry state it seems to be in at present. Someone should buy it for a Loonie, and turn it into a Music Hall for Newfoundland Folk Music. An "Oprey" hall of sorts? I'll bet the acoustics are fantastic inside, and there would be no problem attracting patrons who enjoy good music, or the bands and individuals that play it.

No comments: