Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunar Eclipse


This image is not a sharp as I would have liked it to be, but considering that the exposure was in excess of 4 seconds, there is some movement which smudged things a little. I had not even the slightest intention of shooting the moon tonight, and it was a spur of the moment thing, as I had been watching the Calgary Flames and Dallas Stars hockey game on TV. I used my Fuji S9100 on a tripod, and extended the lens to 300 mm, and then activated the digital zoom to get to 600 mm. I had not tried to do this before, and at -20 C, I at least found out that the camera could be used outside for approx. 1 hour without the batteries packing in, or the camera shutting down in those temperatures. I liked the colours as they became a nice orange hue, and should have boosted the ISO to 800 instead of using ISO 80 for this shot, which caused blurring due to the long exposure time. But maybe my brain was frozen as I thought on this afterward when I went inside the house to thaw out. Oh well, the next Lunar Eclipse is in 2010, and by that time, maybe I'll have a some equipment to do the job properly..... like maybe a nice SONY Alpha 900 with a 24.6 mp full frame sensor, and a 600mm f.4 lens.......Yeah right! Funny how staring at a full moon makes a person get really wild and crazy ideas!

No comments: