Thursday, February 21, 2008

White Lined Sphinx Moth


When this moth first caught my eye, I was standing talking to my wife and daughter, and I thought it was a humming bird as it hovered over the plant on the ground. Then I thought, I have never seen a humming bird down on the ground before. So upon looking closer, I realized that it was a rather large moth with a very long proboscis, and it was sucking the nectar from the plant below. I had my Minolta Maxxum 9 over my shoulder, with a 75 - 300 zoom lens on it at the time, and I switched it on, and let auto focus and auto exposure do its job. Afterward, I looked up this moth in the moth and butterfly book, and soon found it. It is also known as the "Humming Bird Moth," and it was very easy to understand why. This photo was taken in Kaministiquia, Ontario, which is northwest of Thunder Bay. Film used was Fuji Reala 100 which I usually use to shoot portraits. Hope you enjoy it.

No comments: