Saturday, August 2, 2008

Old Gas Pump

On my way back from Newfoundland about 3 weeks ago, I stopped in Deep River, Ontario to refuel for the last time before home. As I inserted the nozzel into my gas tank, I noticed this old blue gas pump sitting between the 2 operating pumps. It was obviously meant to be a conversational piece, and also to say that the owners had been around a long while. When I was 12 years old, I got my first job. It was at a BA service station on Country Road in Corner Brook, NFLD, and this old pump is identical to the one I used back then. Would you believe, I pumped gas for 23.5 CENTS/GALLON?!! The real big spenders used to fill up for about $7.00! Inside the round glass bulb at the top of the pump, was a yellow twirlly thing that went around as the gas flowed. I used to get so mesmerized watching that yellow thing twirl, that I would forget to watch the actual ammount being pumped, and give the customer more than he had asked for. Needless to say, I got sworn at quite often........But the boss liked it. Aaaah, yes b'y, those were the days!!

2 comments:

Frank said...

Dave-I remember those days! What great memories.

Frank

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey Frank,
Thanks for looking in. When I tell people that I pumped gas for 23.5 cents/gallon, I get this blank stare back at me, as if to say, what planet did you fall off of. I feel sorry for them. Dave