Friday, November 7, 2008

When I Grow Up......

After the 9-11 event in New York, firemen everywhere attained hero status. If they were somewhat ignored before, they sure were not afterward. Mothers wanted their little ones to be photographed with firemen, or in firemen's attire. This portrait of this little guy, was a sort of spur of the moment thing that was requested by Mom. I had not expected them to show up with a firemans hat, and wanting something "different" done. So I took my extinguisher down off of the wall, and proceeded to shoot this image of a little guy in his diapers. But try as I might, I felt that something was missing. Then I remembered that in my files, I had an image of a real fire that occurred in North Bay, and that I had taken a shot of a fireman up on the ladder, pouring water down on the roof of a downtown department store. After thinking for a while, I decided to try to use the downtown fire scene as a background for this little guys portrait. The shot of the fireman was taken as he had totally disappeared in smoke, and was reappearing as the smoke cleared around him. Hope you like it also.

Cameras: Minolta Maxxum 9, (Downtown fire scene)
Mamiya RB67 (studio portrait of lad)

Lenses: Minolta AF 75 ~ 300 mm
Mamiya 150 mm Soft Focus Portrait

No comments: