Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Privy

A few years ago, or I should say many years ago, when I was just starting out in photography, a fellow by the name of Sherman Hines put out a book about the Outhouses of Atlantic Canada. I thought that was sort of a novel idea at the time. The photographs were excellent, and were a real primer in lighting and composition. While I have no such ambitions, I did come across this building that had a sign over the door. It read, King's Navy Yard Privy. It was much more elegant than those old weather beaten wooden outhouses in Mr. Hines book. I thought at first that it was just a building that was open only in the tourist season of the year. But no, it indeed was open, and very well maintained also.......thank God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, you'll want to return there in the height of the summer. A lot of wedding couples have the photo's done there it's so beautiful and serene. I was born in around that area also. Not really a reason to return there, just another little useless tidbit. Terri

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Terri,
Thanks for looking in. I plan to return to this area again, as I think it has a lot of photographic potential. I can imagine that it is well used for weddings, etc.. Thanks, Dave