Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Naval Yards, Amherstburg, Ont. Scene

Yesterday was a gray overcast day, and I decided to take a jaunt down along the Detroit River to the town of Amherstburg. The Naval Yards are located along the riverfront, and this white winch at one time would have been used to draw the ships up against the wharf, or whatever structure was there at the time. Now it is an ornament to remind of times gone by. Not too far away, I was quite startled to find a plaque that amongst other Regiments, mentioned the action by the Royal Newfoundland (Fencibles) Regiment during the Battle of Lake Erie in the War of 1812.
I "Googled" to find out more and was informed that: Many of the regiment's soldiers were expert boatmen, and five companies were sent to Upper Canada in 1812 to serve as marines on the Great Lakes. They fought as such throughout the war, suffering heavy casualties at the Battle of Lake Erie. When not serving aboard ships, the regiment was split up into garrisons and detached companies throughout Upper Canada. It had never occurred to me that my fellow countrymen had parcipated in the affairs of Upper Canada at that time, but then I am certainly no history expert. They had helped keep the ground I was standing on from becoming foreign soil. With Rememberance Day not so long past, I decided to use this as my tribute to the fallen soldiers in all the conflicts, past and present. We owe so much to all of them.

2 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Thank You for the history behind the photo.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi John,
Thanks for looking in. Sometimes you get to learn something when you least expect it. Dave