Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Fare Thee Well My Friend......

It is with utter sadness that I re post this photo of Dent Peever and Jack Shepherd on the sidewalk in front of Railton's Camera Shop on Main St. in North Bay. When I started to read my e-mails yesterday, I was informed by two members of the Photo Group that I used to belong to in North Bay, that Dent had passed away at his home. He responded to my previous posting as the "Guy on the Left", and it was so good to hear from him again. On my last trip north in November to visit family, something was telling me over and over on the way back down Hwy. 11 N, to stop in and say Hi to Dent. It was a 10 hour drive back home, but I did stop, and as he was quite busy with customers in his shop on Oak St., I only stayed and chatted with him for about 5 minutes, but told him that I would stop by again on my next trip north. I sure am glad that I took the time to stop in, as I regarded Dent as my brother almost, and he was indeed the consummate camera salesman. For about 35 years, several times a week, we would get together at the camera store, and there was always a friendly banter between us. He was always poking fun at my Minolta cameras and lenses, and used to say that if you looked closely at my pictures, you could see, "bottled by Coca Cola" on them, as a result of using Minoltas. According to him, I would be a much better photographer if I switched to Nikon or Canon equipment. It was all in good fun, and I loved him for it. So it appears now, that Dent has gone to join Jack. That must put a twinkle in Jack's eye for sure. My condolences to his son Shawn, and all the rest of his family that I never had occasion to meet. Fare thee well Dent......I sure will miss you my friend........'till we meet again......

4 comments:

Mike de Moree said...

Thank you Dave for posting this image again. It was a tremendous shock to hear about Dent's passing away. I am very saddened by this great loss. Dent has always been a great friend who was always ready with his advise about cameras. He loved his work and his passing will leave an enormous gap for all photographers in this city.
Mike

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks Mike. We will all miss him so very much. Even though I moved away, I still feel very much a part of the photographic scene of North Bay. After visiting him on my way home, his passing is not a real surprise to me. But nonetheless very sad. Dave

John Minkowskyj said...

"Fare Thee Well My Friend" yes indeed. Dent will be missed by all of us that knew him as a friend and a professional. He always took care of us.
Do you have any idea if he ever exhibited or shown any of his photos?
Thank you for posting the picture, again.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi John,
Thanks for looking in again. To my knowledge, Dent never ever had a public display of any kind of his photography. He was likely too busy being the salesman that he was, and his spare time was likely spent fishing, hunting, and doing the family thing. Dave