Sunday, January 3, 2010

Northern Ontario Revisited......

This area of the South Shore of Lake Nipissing, in Northern Ontario, was one of my favorite places that I used to like to go to when I needed to be alone. This photo is from a Medium Format negative, that I shot with my Mamiya RB 67 camera. The negative was scanned on an old Epson film scanner, and edited in Photoshop CS3, and Corel Paint Shop Pro X2. It was kind of fun to scan a negative again, and after about 3 tries, finally got all of the dust removed that had become embedded in the emulsion. I like to drop a tip or two from time to time in this little blog, and here is how I clean my negatives. Go out to the garage, and get that gallon tin can of Coleman Camp stove fuel. It is straight naphtha, and it evaporates immediately. Then after putting some on a soft cotton ball, wipe both sides of the negative until clean. I used to buy "proper" negative cleaning solutions in little 3.5 oz bottles, for $9.99 each. Now I buy it by the gallon can, for about $4.99 each, and use it to light my Coleman Lanterns as well. So there you have my first tip for 2010. Happy shooting to everyone, and I think I shall be shooting more of that strange stuff called "film" this year.......

7 comments:

A Scattering said...

Interesting tip. I have scads of negative and I keep promising myself that I'll buy a negative scanner. One of these days.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Elaine,
Negative/Slide scanners are very reasonably priced now, and you should be able to buy one for 200.00 or less. I use a Plustek 7200, and it works great. Thanks, Dave

John Minkowskyj said...

Great shot. Happy New Year, Dave!
Looking forward to seeing more of your work on this site. Wishing You and your family a great 2010.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
Hope you and your family have a great 2010 also. Thanks for checking in. Dave

Mike de Moree said...

Hi Dave,
Boy that is a familiar and actually one of my favourite sites along Lake Nipissing. Great picture. Thanks
Mike

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Mike,
If I am not mistaken, the tall tree on the left was cut down by some teens and burnt during a high school graduation party. I visited the site shortly afterward, and found what was left of it with some beer bottles and assorted garbage laying around. I guess this is why we do photography. Thanks for looking in. Dave

Anonymous said...

Stephen Pierce is offering his book "Make Real Money on the Internet" absolutely free! Get your copy today! http://tinyurl.com/y99wnzw