Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Has Sprung....

There is a line in a song written by the late Canadian singer, song writer Stan Rogers, about new life pushin' through in the Spring of the year. As I was photographing this little hyacinth plant in a back corner of our yard today, this song came to mind. My first impulse was to just post a straight up photo of this plant, but as I started editing, I decided to try to depict that bursting forth of new life. While doing this, I remembered years ago doing something very similar in the darkroom to obtain a zoom effect. It entailed cranking the enlarger head upward while making the exposure on paper, all the while holding a mask to dodge a butterfly that my daughter was holding on her finger. You needed three hands to do that, but somehow I was able to manage the desired result. Things are so different now, and sometimes I still miss the smell of chemicals on my hands as I would roll into bed at around 03:00 am. totally exhausted......

Camera: Maxxum 7D
Lens: Minolta AF 75 ~ 300 zoom, with # 2 close up filter attached.
Editing Software: PhotoImpact 12, and Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

2 comments:

Mike de Moree said...

Spring is here Dave but it is a little further in your part of the province. Lucky guy.
Mike

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks Mike,
It was about +28C here yesterday, and it was so nice, but we are in for a few cool ones over the weekend. I am hoping to get out and do a little more shooting soon, as it doesn't hurt to hold the camera anymore. Dave