Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Rosebud Cracked Open......

In our garden this morning, my wife and I were checking out the progress of the rose bushes, and she found a bud that was gnarled and twisted, and would never bloom. It looked like something had bored through and destroyed it, so I figured that maybe I could open it up and uncover the culprit. But nothing was to be found inside that had caused the problem, but I looked at the mess that I had made and it somehow appealed to me. The red, yellow and green colours were kind of nice I thought, but the lighting through the translucent canopy over the pergola did not do it justice at all. So I went inside and retrieved a cereal bowl and placed it upside down to shelter it until the evening light came through the side of the deck. My wife gave me a crooked little grin but said nothing. So this shot was taken about 8 hours after I had mangled it, when the sun was where it should be, and a white object placed to the left of the petals provided a little fill, and reduced the contrast. By now, you are probably thinking that this guy is just a bit off the wall, but it is little events like this that I like to record with my camera that makes a line from a Leonard Cohen song make sense. It said that everything has a crack in it, and that's how the light gets in. Sometimes the cracks occur naturally, and sometimes we make them ourselves I guess. It's all about the light.....

2 comments:

Mike de Moree said...

I love this picture Dave. It has a feeling of a moment of eruption. Well that is the best way for me to describe it. Thanks
Mike

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey Mike,
Thanks for your comments. Your input is much appreciated. Dave