Sunday, July 4, 2010

Baby Blue Jays....

For the past several days, I have been rather busy converting my garage into a wood working shop. The kitchen project is about to begin in earnest, as I will be building my own cabinetry and drawers, etc. myself, from scratch. Yes, I am one of those DIY guys, and usually get a great amount of satisfaction after the job is finished. That's the pay off. Anyway, this morning while still in a stupor, I heard my wife talking to someone out in the kitchen. I did not hear anyone arrive, so got up to see what was going on. There, perched upon the BBQ outside the window, was a little baby Blue Jay. It seemed that this was the first day out of the nest for him, so I ran and grabbed the camera, put on the 75 ~ 300 mm zoom lens, and came out. It was still there, so I went to the back door, and opened it enough to stick the lens through, and started to shoot. It had not learned to fear anything yet, and every time the shutter fired, it would turn its head and appeared almost to be posing for me. Then I discovered its sibling over on my canoe, and walked over and started to shoot several frames of it also. They spent the whole day in our back yard, and I was able to get a shot of one of them as it struggled to get through a hole in the fence lattice. It was a fun way to start the day, and I hope they stay around for a while.

4 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Great shots, Dave!

gone to the dogs said...

Oh My gosh. thes pictures made my day. I've had a Robins' nest outside of my kitchen window for 3 years in a row but every year the crows raid the nest before the babies hatch. I know the crows are not to blame but its dissapointing all the same. These baby jays are lovely.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thank you John...Hope your summer is going well. Dave

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi gone to the dogs,
Thanks for looking in today. How are things in CB? Would love to spend a day around the BOI this summer, but will not likely be able to. Maybe next year when I have all of the renovations and remodels done. But will likely be broke by then LOL! Glad you liked my birdies. Thanks, Dave