Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Windsor's Roses of Sharon

Yesterday, I went with my friend Frank, down to the Detroit River to see the tall ships go by. However, it was a very overcast and hazy day, and to make matters worse, when the ships did show up, they were about 20 to 30 minutes apart, and none of them were under sail. They came up the river using their motors, and since the shipping channel is over on the Detroit side, a long lens was needed. But upon returning home, I felt that this was just one of those days that things were not going as they had been expected to. So, I took the camera, and went to my back yard to photograph the Rose of Sharon bushes growing across the back fence. These roses grow everywhere here in Windsor, and they are very beautiful. This shot is taken from one end, lengthwise down to the back corner of our yard. This makes it look almost like one big bush of roses. At least I did not feel that the day was a total write off, and had something worthwhile to download. The effect applied here is called the Orton Effect, and is easily arrived at in Photoshop. It is my first attempt at using this effect, and I am not sure yet if I like it or not. Maybe I need to play around with it a little more, when I have the time......

6 comments:

Anthony said...

Nice shooting, David.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for looking in and your comment. I appreciate it. Dave

Frank said...

Dave-I agree the Tall Ships along the Detroit river the other day was a disappointment to both of us. At least you were able to salvage the day in terms of photography by capturing the beautiful rose of Sharon in your back yard.
Frank

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Frank,
Thanks for looking in. The tall ships will make another appearance I'm sure, and maybe we will have better luck next time. Dave

Mike de Moree said...

I always love your comments with your images Dave. They just add another dimention to your pictures.
Thanks.
Mike

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Mike,
Thanks for checking my blog out again, and your comments about my comments as well. Much appreciated Sir! I hope to post again soon, but will be starting to build the kitchen cupboards by the weekend...BIG job! Dave