Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Session...

We returned from a trip North to visit family tonight, and did encounter the white stuff that happens every year around this time up there. It was good to see this part of the country again, but I was not expecting a partridge to fly out of the bush just South of Latchford, and totally take out a headlight in the car. But I had to chuckle to my self that it could have been a moose! Anyway, it was good to see the old folks again. In this photo, again taken by my wife, is her Dad on the fiddle. He is 96 now, and still can tune the instrument to perfection. I was really amazed as he really leaned into this Tommy Makem song that we were playing, "I got some rosin for me bow". We have played together many times over the last 45 years, and he still blows me away even yet. He just loves the old Irish and Scottish fiddle tunes, as well as the Old Time Canadian Fiddle Tunes, played by the likes of Don Messer, King Ganam, Ned Landry and Ward Allen. He has forgotten more music than most of us will ever learn or remember. It was just a whole bunch of fun to get in a few more tunes with him again. It makes a 10 hour trip more than worthwhile. Until next time Dad....

6 comments:

Mike de Moree said...

Love this image David. Now I would like to hear the music you guys play.
Thanks.
Mike

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your comments on this photo. Hopefully, the next time that we get together for another session, I will have Sharon do a little video with my Fuji S9100. That way, I could e-mail a little sampling along your way. We have had so much fun over the years, and I totally dread the day when we can no longer do this. Thanks again. Dave

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, Just looking at that picture reminds me soooo much of me and my dad. Same thing, me on the squeeze box and him on the Violin or Clarinet or whatever took his fancy that day. Thanks again for the memories. I can just hear the three of you play as dad was into that sort of music also. It brings a tear to me eye and a tug on me heart as we can no longer do that sort of thing. But they can't take my memories away. Again, I thank you. Terri

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey Terri,
Thanks for looking in. We have had some fine times playing music together, and I hope it will continue for a while yet. So glad it helped bring back a fond memory to you. Thanks. Dave

gone to the dogs said...

What a great image and a great story. It could be a Newfoundland kitchen party. We have a sprinkling of the white stuff here in Corner Brook too. As for the partridge....they are like a grouse right? I see grouse all the time on my walks with my dog...and I don't think they are too bright! Too bad about the Partidge and your headlight though.

Deborah

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Deborah,
It's great hearing from you again, and seeing you return to posting also. Partridge and grouse are pretty much alike...dumb! My father-in-law is just great on the fiddle, and we get into some pretty heavy Irish and Newfoundland tunes sometimes. Meanwhile, Mother-in-law (89) does a little scuff about the kitchen. Some good girl! Thanks again. Dave