Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Budding Cartoonist?

A severe bout of insomnia last night got me to playing Mahjongg long after most normal people go to sleep. Upon winning a game, after about 7 losses, I chose to open one of the "Jewels of Wisdom", and it said that "gentle people demand much of themselves, but the pretty (vain) demand much of others". How true is that? Tonight I was going to post a very ugly picture of my kitchen with the walls smashed out, which I took during the current renovation. But I happened upon this little piece of artwork that was done this past summer by my eldest granddaughter. She had somehow managed to get my youngest granddaughter to sit still long enough to do this little caricature sketch of her. I have always admired artists, and I especially admire those who can draw a sketch of another person, and while it is obviously a cartoon type of drawing, there is enough subtle detail, and hints of the real subject as to make it obvious who the person actually is. That takes a lot of talent and skill. It amazes me that such talent is present in her at such a young age. When I asked her what she would probably do when she grew up, she said that she wasn't sure yet, but she would like to become an animator or cartoonist. It would not surprise me if one day, her artwork was in daily newspapers. She is a gentle little soul, who obviously demands excellence of herself, and already is able to offer something beautiful to others. She was eleven when she drew this with coloured pencils, and the subject was a very busy three year old.
Go for it kiddo!

7 comments:

gone to the dogs said...

A budding artist indeed! We have a wonderful Fine Arts program here in Corner Brook...you should point her this way when she gets a little older!

Deborah

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Deborah,
I brought her to Newfoundland about 2 1/2 years ago, and she just loved it. I posted a picture of her at that time walking along the beach at Stephenville Crossing, holding some pebbles and sea shells in her hand. It would not surprise me if some day she took a serious look at the programs offered in Corner Brook. She is a real sweetie. Thanks again,
Dave

Mike de Moree said...

Great posting David. I have to say you are not only a very good photographer but also an excellent writer who knows how to put a lot of meaning and , I should say, emotion into your postings. Thanks.
Mike

David c.h. Brown said...

Thank you Mike for the kind comment. I remember when you got me started on my blog in North Bay. I didn't even know what a blog was, or should/could be. I have found it to be an enjoyable endeavor. Thanks again. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

A really wonderful story and drawing - clearly the genes are not recessive ;-)

David c.h. Brown said...

Krys & Paul,
Thanks guys! I had no idea you traveled so far back in my blog. Welcome aboard. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

Thanks, Dave. - It is pure pleasure!