Friday, January 21, 2011

My Old Workhorse.....

Last week, I dug out my old film camera, to check it out, and see if it was still working, or if I should take a sledge hammer to it. It is working just fine, and it felt so good in my hands again that I had to take this picture of it. The ergonomics of this camera are just fantastic, and it is so tough, that my old friend Dent Peever, (may he rest in peace) used to say that you could drive tent pegs with the thing. He wasn't too far off the mark, as one time while shooting a bride and groom in the lobby of the Pinewood Park Hotel in North Bay, it fell unto the floor from a chair that I had placed it on. There was a loud gasp from the onlookers, and I picked it up, checked it over, and continued the shoot with that camera. The loud bang that was heard when it made contact with the stone floor of the lobby had everyone expecting the worst. But it kept on clicking, and the only marks on the thing are from the wear left by my hands over the years. It makes me wonder if anyone is making a digital camera these days, that would take that kind of punishment. Anyway, all of the other shooters in the area were die hard Canon or Nikon users. However, I was much too stubborn for that. Besides, if Minolta cameras were good enough for the likes of Jack Shepherd, and Freeman Patterson, I wasn't going to feel shy about showing up with 2 or 3 of them hanging off of my neck. So, I guess I am paying homage to an old friend, and a real workhorse of a camera. It is retired now, but maybe not for long. They still make Black & White film, and I could build another darkroom eh?.....

2 comments:

Krys and Paul said...

Nice story, Dave.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thank you Krys and Paul. Dave