Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ornament in the Park......

This photo was taken many years ago in the park beside Ontario Northland on Lakeshore Drive in North Bay, Ontario. While watching a program on T.V. a couple of nights ago on the news, there was a story about an aeronautical engineer who was being given an award for service to the industry, and the country. He was elderly, and happened to have been the chief engineer on the Avro Arrow project. Remember the Arrow? I get quite furious just thinking about the loss of Canadian jobs and pride the day they took the cutting torches to those aircraft that had been built. It made me think back to the day that I stood in the park and took this photo. As I glanced around, I realized that I was the only person there with a camera. The press should be showing up any minute now, right? But they never did, at least not that I could remember. So here these guys were, hanging on to a line, helping to guide the BOMARC ICBM (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile) down onto its mounting bolts. When this thing was operational in its silo on Hwy. 11N, I used to live literally a stones throw away from the silo. I used to joke that we were totally at ground zero should some idiot press THE BUTTON! At the very least, there must have been arial photos somewhere in the files of the KGB of the silo, that also possibly included our home. However, I was more worried about the black flies and mosquitoes. Anyway, it struck me as kind of odd, that we had spent all of that money, because old Dief was persuaded by the U.S. President, that there would be no further need for fighter aircraft in the future, and that we were wasting our money to complete the Arrow. And here I was, standing there, snapping photos of them erecting the same BOMARC ICBM as an ornament to adorn the park on Lakeshore Drive. The Arrow was soooooo politically incorrect eh! And recently in the news, what did our PM just commit billions of our tax payers dollars to? Fighter Aircraft....built in the USA of course....

P.S. There was an Arrow prototype that could fly up to the edge of the earths atmosphere and open a cargo bay, and launch a satellite into space....no need for launch pads, or sunny weather. This was a Canadian idea and possibility back in the 50's folks....think about it!

5 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

The AVRO...what would Canada be like today if they were built? We would probably have an Boeing industry here and would be miles ahead of the States.
I like the way your photo conveys...history.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi John,
Thanks for the comment. It seems to me that many today are totally unconcerned about how the country operates...That is for the politicians, we are too busy texting....and here we sit with only clowns to vote for. How did that happen eh? Dave

Mike de Moree said...

Excellent picture Dave. Of course the BOMARC ICBM is gone now. I should say I was never impressed with having this "weapon of mass destruction" on prominent display. So I am one who is glad to see it gone.
Mike

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Mike,
Thanks for looking in. I was not aware that the BOMARC was no longer in the park. I also am glad to hear that. As one who abhors wars, I always felt that if, in this crazy world, we MUST have defense weapons, at least they should be built by Canadians. We always seem to capitulate to other nations or groups, instead of taking a firm stand ourselves. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

The whole thing is such a nutty story you have to say "only in Canada, eh?"