Friday, February 11, 2011

On Thin Ice Maybe.....?


After coffee this morning, Frank and I took a drive down to the Riverside Marina to check out what was going on down there. Well there were ice fishermen doing their thing, and I could not believe what I was seeing. As I watched one fellow making a hole with the auger, I counted the number of rotations that it would take to break through the ice. It took 12 rotations, and he pulled it up with a gush of water swirling about his feet. So I figured that there was about 3 inches of ice at the most. But maybe I am wrong about that. At any rate, just to show that there was indeed not much ice, only a few feet away was the open waters of the Detroit River as it emptied out of Lake St. Clair. The swans and Canada Geese and a few Mallards were swimming about as usual. I remember venturing out on Lake Nipissing in North Bay, when there was about 2 feet of ice, and wondering if it was safe enough that I would not have to worry about it. It kind of made me chuckle a little bit, because these guys were probably wondering who the idiot was with the camera, that he would want to take pictures on such a cold day, and I was wondering the same thing about their activities. You really have to love what you are doing to venture out onto ice this thin. However, in one way or another, we all live a little on the edge. To each his own I guess......

3 comments:

Mike de Moree said...

Looking at your pictures David I would say this is a little too close to the edge for me.
Mike

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey Mike,
A couple of days ago, one of the fishermen went through the ice when it broke underneath his feet. Some of the others fishing there, fished him out luckily...and they are still there LOL! Thanks, Dave

Krys and Paul said...

I think you pegged it, Dave, we all have a set of risks we are willing to take - an ice-cold watery death not one of mine!