Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring Has Sprung...

This past weekend, the temperature here in Windsor soared up to +27C, and I could not help but feel elated. It meant that the worst of winter was behind us, and we could finally get out and move around without being all bundled up in heavy clothing. April month, also means another Wedding Anniversary was to be celebrated, and a few days after that, the birthday of our little granddaughter. The blossoms in this photo was from a little bouquet that I bought for my wife, and they are still going strong more than a week after the event. For the most part, I like to photograph flowers with my 100mm soft focus portrait lens. This lens, on my Maxxum 7D becomes a 150mm lens, and I added a couple of diopters with a close up filter to be able to work in close to the individual blossoms, while at the same time, include a bit of the surrounding flowers nicely out of focus. I was tempted to go out and buy an auto focus Macro lens, but I'm not sure I would like the results from it any better than I do with this set up that I use here. I have converted an unused upstairs bedroom into a studio of sorts, where I have the advantage of being able to use the lovely natural light you get from a North window. This photo was taken with the softness ring set to +1, and there was very little photo editing done in terms of exposure adjustments etc.. So, here's to Springtime, warmer weather and flowers! Hope you like it also.....

7 comments:

Krys and Paul said...

Love lilies - they always photography so well, though this is an impressive effort, Dave!

And congratulations on all the special events!

David c.h. Brown said...

Krys & Paul,
Thank you for the kind comments. Much appreciated. Dave

Mike de Moree said...

Great image Dave. Here Winter is still lingering but, as we have learned over the years,Spring will simply appear when we least expect it.
Mike

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks Mike,
I remember one year when we had so much snow, I thought it would last until June. But then it was all gone in about a week or so. We get a lot of freaky weather here in Windsor. It was +27 C. on the weekend, and about +8 C. this morning. But the snow is all gone. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

P.S. Dave - send me your e-mail - k_klassen@live.com and I will invite you to my blog if you are interested - mostly about retirement and a few photos

John Minkowskyj said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!
I think these colours are very representative of your anniversary, they are so vibrant. Great colour.
It sure brightened up my day, thank you.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi John,
Nice to have you drop by again. So glad the colours helped brighten your day. Every little thing we can do for each other eh? Thanks, Dave