Tuesday, June 21, 2011

After the Rain.....

This little image is the result of downloading some freeware photo editing software that I stumbled upon yesterday, while looking for something else. It had rained for a while yesterday, and afterward, I decided to photograph the roses growing by our backyard fence. While digital is wonderful, lately I have returned to shooting film a little. It is such a pleasure to use my film cameras again, where a 100mm lens is 100mm, and not 150mm. When I look at the detail and tones of a medium format black & white print, it makes me long to hold up a 16 x 20 black and white portrait in the darkroom again. You feel like you actually made something yourself, from start to finish. Then when you mount and frame it under glass, it gives a feeling of total satisfaction. Hopefully before too many more months pass, I will be able to process my black and white negatives again, and print them in a new darkroom..... From what I have been reading lately, there are quite a few photographers who are making a return to the darkroom again.....Anyway, hope you enjoy this little image.

2 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

The positive of digital printing (b&w or colour) is that you don't have to deal with the chemicals or set-up times. I've been impressed with digital printing of b & w's. The blacks are a really black/black and the contrast is great.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
Thanks for the comment. Digital has many positives, but I am not positive by a long shot that the image quality is better than film. Film, for me anyway, has a "different" look, and I guess I am one of those old guys that does not look forward to the day when it is no longer possible to do film photography. Dave