Thursday, June 9, 2011

Grain and More Grain....

Today, I decided that it was about time that I made some sort of effort to post something on this badly neglected blog of mine. I dug out my old Minolta XE7 film camera, and loaded a roll of Portra 400NC that had been sitting in the old camera bag for about 4 or 5 years. I thought that it should be very interesting to see if any sort of image at all would record on this emulsion after not being refrigerated for so long. So, I loaded up, and put on my old macro lens, and set about shooting the 36 frames, all the while thinking to myself that I had probably gone over the edge this time. But, in this digital age, who knows for sure eh? Tonight I took the roll up to Wallmart and the young fellow gave me some funny looks when I told him that the film was about 5 years old, and not to expect a whole lot. If any kind of image recorded at all, that would be a bonus for sure. Well, I did get some very faint images, and were they GRAINY or what! So when I loaded the CD into the computer and went through the photos, if they could be called that, I decided on this one to work on a little. What to do with grain, lots of grain....I figured that there was no way to make a sharp image out of this mess, so I decided to texture the living Hell out of it. This is what I finally ended up with. Go ahead and laugh if you must, but I had more fun today than I have had for a long time, and it took some verrrrry old 400 ISO film, and the digital era to combine to make it fun. Hope you enjoy it a little also.......

4 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Finally a posting....LOL.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
Yeah I know, still working on the kitchen amongst everything else. Thanks for looking in. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

Ah, the kitchen. Just glad you are still with us - a lot of other blogs have, sadly, ended in more permanent hiatus. A kitchen might be finished, one day ;-) - Glad you took some time to have fun.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks Krys and Paul. I just have a lot going on right now. But tomorrow I get to install the nice pantry trays or drawers that I made in the last few days...dovetail joints and all eh! Dave