Sunday, October 16, 2011

First Oil Painting....

A couple of days ago while I was mucking around in some old boxes of negatives, I came across this one. It is a shot of this young lady's first attempt at oil painting. It would appear that I got a little carried away with the back lighting, but when you are shooting film, you don't know what the results are until you get it back from the lab. However, I had to make the artist just as important as the artwork she had created. Since the art is framed with a white border, that presents an extremely strong graphical element within the negative. This would tend to pull the eye away from the lovely young artist. So what to do? Well, frame the artist with light seemed to be the only logical thing to do, so as to draw the eye back to her. In any photo, the eye goes to the light areas, and in this case it helped divert attention back from the white rectangle surrounding the art, to the artist who painted it. I could probably have toned it down a little and still achieved the desired result...Oh well....It is what it is...

2 comments:

Ken Harris said...

That must have been in the mid to lat 80's. That is how I remember her looking. She did paint very well.
I see what you mean about the back lighting... but it does draw your eye back to the artist though.
Nice picture.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks Ken,
Unfortunately, she got away from painting over the years, but I'm sure she will resume it again sometime. Dave