Monday, October 24, 2011

A Hardy Rose...

This very lovely sprig of roses showed up on our window ledge a couple of days ago, and my wife told me that our neighbour Terri had brought it over for us. Thank you Ma'am! Of course I had to get out the camera and see what I could do with it. I decided to shoot it off center and use the picture for my desktop image, as most of the icons are aligned on the left side, with a few on the right. It worked out well for that purpose, and since the world has gone to bed, and I am enjoying the quiet time, I decided to use it for this blog. I played with it in Photoshop, PhotoImpact, and Corel before I was finally satisfied with the results. To have roses still blooming in October is a real treat, and they seem to be much more hardy than the delicate blossoms would appear.

5 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Very nice, the 3 dominant colours really work.

(2 months to Christmas)

David c.h. Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
Thanks for looking in. Home Depot had all of their Christmas decorations on display yesterday...I hate when they push Christmas this early...but I'm an old Scrooge eh. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

I'm with you on the Christmas too early, Dave, though as noted elsewhere, this year we're escaping to NZ and I am really looking forward to that!

Love the last roses of summer! This photo is perfect though the white background looks too much like the white stuff to be entirely comfortable ;-)

Thanks, John, for pointing out the restricted colour palette - it is so dramatic. Must try for some of those...

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Krys and Paul,
Thanks for looking in, and hope you enjoy NZ for a while. The white stuff in the background is frosted acetate on a window pane, and it made for a "nothing" background. I have one more rose to go, and then I will be done with them for this year. Dave