Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Monarch is Born...

Today I got to digging around in an old box of negatives, and came across this one. It was shot with my old Minolta XK body with a 50mm macro lens using KODAK Portra 400 VC film. It looked like it was somewhat worthwhile, so I scanned it tonight, and came up with this version. I was also giving some new COREL free trial software a workout, to see if it would offer anything new that would be worth the extra dollars for the upgrade. The jury is still out on that one. Anyway, this Monarch butterfly had just emerged from its pupa stage, and would be flying off as soon as its wings were dry from the sunlight on them. I always thought butterflys were mother natures flying flowers, and it always amazed me at the lengthy journey they make down to South America after been born here in the north. This one greeted the world in North Bay a few years ago, and I watched it over a period of about 3 hours until it got to this point. It was indeed fascinating to watch. Hope you enjoy it also.

6 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Great photo(s. Thank you. It's always satisfying to go to Mike's blog on a daily basis, connecting to his links and seeing everyones great photos. It was great to see you at Ed's.
Keep posting, it always makes my day. Thank You, again.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks John. It was a lot of fun for me as well to see everyone again. Have a really nice Thanksgiving with your family. Dave

Frank said...

Dave
Great photo!

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey Frank,
Thanks for looking in. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

Great shot!

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks Krys and Paul. It took about 3 hours to set up and shoot various stages of emergence, until it got to this point. Dave