Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Red Rose of December...

'Tis a dull dreary rainy day here in Windsor, and John, this one is in response to your request. I finished sending off the parcel and then took time out to slip over to our neighbors, Terri's and Henry's front yard. This rose bush has been blooming forever it seems, and I keep wondering when it will stop and decide that it is winter after all. So, while my wife puts the finishing touches of paint on the baseboards of the kitchen, I put my #2 closeup filter on my 75 ~ 300 mm lens, and took this shot. Yup! Roses are still blooming here in Windsor in the middle of December. We are just a week away from Winter Solstice, and I never dreamed I could ever do this. Strange Wah? While everyone else is photographing Poinsettias , I am still photographing roses.....no ice on the river yet.

9 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

The rose just jumps out at you in this shot, with the diffused background, fantastic.
That was a quick response to my queerie.
Thank You.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks John,
When you use close up filters on a telephoto zoom lens, the Dept of Focus is extremely shallow. I was going to buy a macro lens, but I like being able to use different focal lengths and lenses for closeup work. They work great on my 100mm Soft Focus portrait lens, and gives a very dreamy sort of look. Dave

John Minkowskyj said...

Happy Winter Solstice!
It only gets better from here-on-in.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
The same to you! It is supposed to be +8C here this afternoon and I think I'll go for a bike ride somewhere...Gotta love it eh. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in 2012.

John Minkowskyj said...

All the best in the coming year.
Happy New Year to you and your family.

Krys and Paul said...

Such strange weather - love the shot! We're in NZ this Christmas which is like June at home on steroids - talk about roses! Hard to make the same impact as this one, though.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
Happy New Year to you and yours also. Hope 2012 is healthy and prosperous for you. Thanks, Dave

David c.h. Brown said...

Krys and Paul, HAPPY NEW YEAR to you both down under. Thanks for looking in, and we still have no snow yet! Would love to go down there some year. Thanks, Dave

Krys and Paul said...

Thanks, Dave. It's definitely worth coming down here in the winter! Give yourself lots of time. We are cat-sitting to reduce accommodation expense. House-swapping is the way friends did it.