Monday, June 18, 2012

Flowers for Fred...

Many many years ago, when I was a young ambulance attendant, (now called paramedics) I assisted in the Emerg Department with resuisitating a middle aged man who had had a cardiac arrest. We were successful in reviving him and he promptly told us all that "it was so very beautiful out there" and if he should happen to go unconscious again, do him a favour and NOT bring him back. We were all so relieved that he was with us again, but in a few minutes he went unconscious once more. This time it took longer to revive him, and when he did become conscious, he was very very upset that we had not granted his earlier wishes. He again said that it was "more beautiful out there than words can describe, and please do not bring him back again to this world". However, he did pass out again, and when we revived him the third time, he came off of the table swinging at us, and was extremely angry at us all. Of course, this incident made me wonder many years afterward about the afterlife. I am not a religious fellow, but I am spiritual....most would probably figure that is contradictory, but I have always felt that regardless of beliefs or not, the spirit is something we acquire the moment of birth, long before we are capable of believing anything. Why am I so serious tonight? Well, my wife and I just lost her brother, my brother-in-law, who would have celebrated his birthday today. He will be missed big time, long time. Someone commented to me that they had no idea that he had so many friends. I told them that that was because he knew how to be a friend. A lot of folks talk about life and living. Fred DID life! When anyone needed anything, and I mean anything, he was first in line to help out. I just hope that he has arrived in that "beautiful place out there". This image is one that I shot from a bouquet left to the family by the Paramedics in Haileybury, Ont.. Thanks guys, you're the best.....

6 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Touching but true.
My condolensenses to your extended family.
The photograph is appropriate with the rich purples.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks for looking in John and we appreciate the condolenses. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. You did a beautiful post though.

We lost Paul's sister Pat May 19th and in spite of many health issues all her life, she, too, was there to help whenever it was needed. It made it especially hard that we could do so little for her her last days.

While I am quite happy to have her immortality through those she loved and left behind, the idea of some experience that suggests more is very comforting to others.

David c.h. Brown said...

Krys & Paul,
Thanks for your comments. My belated condolences to you both. Unexpected loss is tough to handle. As to the experience I referred to as a paramedic, if I had not been there and witnessed that, I would have had a hard time believing it to be true. Thanks for looking in. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

Thanks, Dave. I hope I didn't sound dismissive of your experience. I'm only too happy if there is something that gives comfort and hope in these situations. Times like these people are so afraid of death. I can't see it myself - you live the best life you can and hopefully have few regrets no matter when it ends (once you get past children).

David c.h. Brown said...

Krys & Paul,
Not to worry, we're on the same page.
Thanks again. Dave