Sunday, July 15, 2012

Blacksmith's Shop.....

This is another image from the old Heritage Village on the shores of Lake Erie.  This was a place of hard work, sweat and calloused hands of hard, tough, self reliant men. Can you imagine having a hot fire going in the forge on a humid Summers day, to soften the steel to be fashioned into horse shoes or some other farm implement? You needed something done, you did it yourself.
I started to do the usual sharpening etc. in Corel, but decided against it afterward. It was shot hand held at about 1/4 of a second, with the lens wide open at f2.8 and as a result is a fairly soft image. I did not have my tripod with me at the time to enable me to do an exposure with a smaller aperature, and longer/steadier shutter speed.I decided that I did not mind this look. It reminds me of some of the stuff I would shoot as a very young lad with the old Box Brownie...Sometimes I think we get carried away with all of the software available today, and our photos are starting to all look the same as everyone elses. So tonight I decided to leave it alone. It is what it is.....

4 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

It is what it is.
You are right with your opinion. I like this one and the Science North Atrium.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
Thanks for your comment today. I guess I am getting a little tired of spending hours and hours on the computer, striving for some Software Company's version of "perfection" or "creativity". As a result, I am slowly setting up another "Darkroom" and look forward to printing out some nice Black & White 16 x 20's again. I have enjoyed digital for years now, but at this point I am going for pure simplicity again. Thanks, Dave

Krys and Paul said...

These shots of historical technologies are great, Dave. So many of them were created with a designer's eye to do a simple job - they shouldn't be lost.

David c.h. Brown said...

Krys and Paul,
You're right about that. It seems that a lot of the old implements of labour is getting lost it the shuffle of technology these days. Are we much better off yet?