Monday, September 10, 2012

By Net Lake, Ont.

On our most recent trip to Northern Ontario, we stopped for an evening snack beside Net Lake, just north of Temagami, Ont. As I was swatting bugs, I noticed the warmth of the light on this purple weed not far from our table. There is a different slant and quality of the light in Northern Ontario, as compared to Southwestern Ontario. That seems to hold true for all seasons of the year. The light has more contrast and harshness to it here in Windsor it seems. This would likely go mostly unnoticed by most folks, but it is certainly noticeable to me, as a photographer. Even the slightest variance of lighting has an effect on the outcome of an image. This little weed is nothing special, but the nice lighting provided by the evening sun was something that gave me quite a bit of pleasure. Hope you don't mind if I share it with you also.....

4 comments:

Krys and Paul said...

Light is interesting - I notice in France I love the light that falls at the same angle that I see in Toronto - same latitude - and the light is quite different in NL and NZ. I find the autumn light has the most interesting effects almost anywhere and of course it is more advanced the further north you go. One of my favourite lighting moments was realizing a Essex Co. field of soy beans was full of purple shadows in December.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Krys and Paul,
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate feedback from you. Thanks, Dave

John Minkowskyj said...

Beautiful soft lighting. Only up north you say. We'll keep it if it makes you come back to photograph the north.
Nice to see you picture on the web today, I've been away for two weeks (Vancouver, Alaska) great to view all the photos on Silverpixels and eveyones links.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
Glad you had a nice trip out West and North West also. Would love to go sometime. We will likely make it North again before the snow happens. Have been tied up doing photos for a Drama Play here, and may be posting some from it soon if permission is granted. Thanks, Dave