Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Of Tugboats and People....

One of the things I enjoyed doing the most when just a kid, was riding my bike up to the Humber Arm on the Bay of Islands, and sitting for an hour or more sometimes, to watch the tug boat haul the very large "booms" of logs down to the Bowater's Pulp and Paper mill in Corner Brook, where they were transformed into newsprint, and shipped all over the world. Then I also liked to watch the tugs at the mill docks nudge and haul the large boats into place where they would tie up, and proceed to take on the large rolls of newsprint. I was so proud, because I knew my Dad was working at the mill, and helping all of this to happen.....Today, I watched again as this small but very powerful tugboat pushed this laker up the Detroit River against the flowing ice and current. Tugboats have always reminded me of the little people who work behind the scenes, and help make important things happen. They are often overlooked in the overall scheme of things, but without them....well, things very often do not function nearly as well. Here's a salute to all of the sturdy little tugboats and hardy little people who operate them, and almost everything else also.

7 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Remember now that you've gone digital you don't have worry about the cost of film. Shoot to your hearts content. Good shooting.

Happy New Year.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks for checking in today John. However, I will be doing some Black & White film photography, as I now have a working darkroom again. I do not want to loose the old ways entirely, as there is still a whole lot of merit in a good B & W print. Dave

John Minkowskyj said...

You can also get great digital B & W prints. Nik Silver Effex does a great job at converting to B & W.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks John,
I downloaded a trial version of that a while back and it was fun. I just have a urge to do some old style darkroom work again. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

Nice composition - and story!

David c.h. Brown said...

Krys & Paul,
Thank you for your comments. Glad you enjoyed the pic and verbal ramblings also. Dave

sydney pest inspection said...

I definitely loved every part of it and i also have you book-marked to see new things on your site.

---------------------------
termite control sydney | termite treatment sydney | cockroach control sydney