Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Accordion Man....

All bundled up in his winter coat, he sits in the entrance to the Windsor Market with this red and gold box on his knee, and a little frog on top. You hear this old accordion playing, but there is no instrument to be seen. He smiles continuously, and nods his head to thank those who drop a few coins in the box on the floor in front of him. You see these people in the most unlikely places sometimes, and it has to be a tough way to make a living, or even a past time for that matter. On my way out of the market, I could not help but stop and chat with him for a while. He grew up in Quebec city, and his family hails from the Iles de la Madeleine, or The Magdalen Islands, in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Great stuff, we grew up in the same area practically. I finally coaxed him to show me what he was playing inside the box. I wanted to see if it was something like the ones that I played, and indeed it was. However, it was very well used, as the grille on the treble button side was replaced with an old piece of cardboard. It had indeed seen more than its fair share of house parties and barn dances all over the country. He had a real love for his old French Canadian tunes, and his eyes just danced when I asked him to play a couple that I knew he would know. He gave me his business card, which states he is available for office parties, weddings, or any occasion what so ever. It was a real chunk of fun talking to him and I appreciated very much his permission to use his pictures on my little blog. Keep the tunes coming fella....this sad world needs more guys like you.....Windsor, Accordion Idol Capitol of Canada...ya think?....LOL!!

2 comments:

Krys and Paul said...

Dave - I love your stories!

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey Krys and Paul,
Thanks for looking in, and sometimes I get a little carried away. I really enjoy talking with folks who are not quite "main stream" as more often than not, they have had very interesting lives. It gives you a more rounded view of others as well as ourselves. Thanks, Dave