Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bread Morning...

Two things that I really enjoy smelling is yeast on my hands after making bread with my wife, and photographic chemicals on my fingers after a darkroom session. That is probably pretty weird to some folks, but I just go with it....it is what it is. When we built the kitchen a couple of years ago, we designed this one counter top below the window beside the electric range, that was a few inches lower than the rest of the kitchen counter top. This was to enable us to knead and punch down bread while keeping our elbows straight, making it a much less tiring procedure. Today the bread in the bowl looked so good in the window's light, I could not resist taking a quick shot of it. It wasn't intended to be an advertisement for Robin Hood flour, but that happens to be what we use. I think a lot of folks today use an automatic bread maker, but I get to talk to mine... This batch makes about 4 loaves, and it disappears much too quickly. It is something we enjoy doing, and I thought I would share the picture with you as I can't wait for it to come out of the oven and slather butter over it before it gets too cold...it goes well with a nice "mug up" (cup of tea) as we say back home....

8 comments:

Frank/Bev said...

Sounds absolutely delicious!

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey Frank & Bev,
Thanks for looking in tonight. Yes...it was absolutely delicious. It certainly makes the effort more than worthwhile. Dave

ABpetite said...

Hey Frank just poppin in to say hello! So nice to meet you, you have a fantastic blog here. Cant wait to follow along.
Have a fantastic week!
XO
Ash@ABpetite
http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

David c.h. Brown said...

Hello ABpetite,
Thanks for looking in on my blog. Hopefully you will find some enjoyment here. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

Here in Toronto I have access to stone ground organic flours and I really think they make a difference - but homemade, homekneaded bread is a gift no matter what ingredients! The challenge is always when to stop eating it! A friend once made her living at the cottage by baking fresh bread and peddling it where no one had seen it in years - she developed very interesting musculature in her forearms ;-) When i write my cookbook will you do the illustrations ;-)

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Krys and Paul,
Thanks again, and I don't quite know how to answer your closing statement.
I have never done much in the way of food photography, as it really is quite a specialized area of photography. I am flattered if you were indeed serious, and it will give me something to ponder for a while. Thanks, Dave

Krys and Paul said...

Well, semi-serious - the light and shadow in this photo would make any food photos dramatic. Don't hold your breath, though. I have at least six books in every genre on the go - the only finished one was a self-published family history book - the diaries of my mother and paternal grandfather on their separate flights from Russia 1920s.

David c.h. Brown said...

Major multitasking for sure! It must keep you more than a little busy...surprised you even have time to check out any blogs. Thanks for dropping by Krys & Paul. Dave