Sunday, April 7, 2013

Survivor....?

To have come across this butterfly this early in the year was a real surprise. A few moments before, I had a couple of deer in view, and did not expect to see any butterflies just yet. So when this one flew by and landed a few feet away, I decided to grab a quick shot with the 75 ~ 300 mm lens that I had on the camera at the time. I was shooting wide open, and hand holding as well, so its right wing is slightly blurry. However, it was not until I downloaded the image that I realized that a part of its wing was missing. Not being a lepidopterist, I am not sure if it had an unfortunate encounter with a bird, or had emerged from its pupa stage with this malformation. Just like most of us, it will have to do its life being a little less than perfect. At any rate, I see it somewhat as a survivor, and enjoyed the encounter.

P.S. It has just been suggested to me that my "butterfly" could actually be a moth, and they were probably correct on that. So if there is anyone out there who could identify this butterfly or moth, I would appreciate it.....

6 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

It's great to see some shots on your site.
Thank God Spring has come to some parts of the province..

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi John,
Thanks for looking in tonight. You are right, Spring has been very cold this year, even around here. However, I believe it should start to happen soon...hopefully. Take care. Dave

Krys and Paul said...

I think this might be a moth - they emerge earlier than butterflies (I think) gorgeous and flawed as all true beauty is ;-)

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Krys and Paul,
You are probably right on that. I do not have a moth or butterfly book to refer to, but I appreciate your input. Thanks, Dave

Mike de Moree said...

Moth or butterfly, its still a nice shot. An early messenger of Spring. Thanks David.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey Mike,
Thanks for looking in tonight. Spring is really dragging its heels this year, and it is unusually cold around here also, but nicer weather in a couple of days. Hope to get out and shoot some B & W with the 6x7. Dave