Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Baby Grasshopper.....

This little grasshopper seems to be enjoying lunching on one of my wife's Dahlias, and I thought it might make for an interesting picture. After taking the picture with a #2 close up filter on my 75 ~ 300 mm zoom lens, I found that what I really enjoyed was how the green colour of the grasshopper played off of the pink of the petals, and the golden center of the flower in the lower left. It is not tack sharp, as I was hand holding the camera, and holding my breath. There also seems to be a bit of purple fringing around the edges of the pink petals, and the dark background. I suspect that this was due to the softening effect of using a close up filter and shooting with a wide open aperture. However I am fairly satisfied with the results, and hope you enjoy it also.

3 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Great composition. I like the look of the center of the flower, it almost looks like corn!

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
Thanks for your comment...just returned from the North and it's nice to see that we are not the only ones sweltering in the heat. You're right, the center of the flower does resemble corn..mother nature knows what works eh? Dave

Mike de Moree said...

Like this picture David. Particularly the contrasting green of the grasshopper and the soft pink of the flower.