Thursday, October 31, 2013

Devil's Trumpets...

Since tonight is Halloween, I thought I'd offer a different treatment to the Datura plant than I have in past postings. These lovely but very deadly blossoms are from my wife's flower bed. This plant is also known as Jimson Weed, Devil's Trumpet and Hell's Bells.
The flowers are 3~4 inches (sorry, I don't do metric) in length, and 2 to 3 inches across. They have a very faint and delicate aroma. The hallucinogenic properties of this plant used to be used by earlier societies when they wished to get in touch with all things "spiritual" during their various ceremonies. Early native cultures would say that one cup of tea from this plant and you went to sleep, 2 cups, you had a very bad dream, 3 cups and you did not ever wake up. Apparently the hallucinogenic aspects of this plant are such that it has been likened to LSD on steroids, and most who try to smoke the stuff never survive. It seems to me that it would be wise to leave this plant alone except to admire it's beauty and lovely scent.....Happy Halloween everyone.....stay safe!

4 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Great shot.
The background gives it that smokey effect, it ties in with the poisonous flower.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
Thanks for looking in, and for your comments. I guess I wanted to give the lovely flowers a somewhat sinister look with the gargoyle and the fog machine. Dave

Richard Brewer said...

A beautiful image, David.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks for checking in today Richard.
This shot was taken when I was trying to kick start myself out of a state of boredom. That happens occasionally when you have been retired for a while. Dave