Friday, December 6, 2013

Wild Berries

A few days ago, when the sun came out briefly, we were out at Holiday Beach camp ground and I came across a whole thicket full of these red berries. It was hard to isolate just one little bunch from the thousands there, and finally I got to this one. It was quite a way back in the thicket, and since it was impossible to walk back there, I had to use my 75~300 mm lens fully extended which taking in the multiplication factor of 1.5 was effectively at 450mm. However, that was still not enough magnification, so I had to activate the in camera 2X teleconverter, to get an effective 900 mm of zoom. Since I did not have my tripod at the time, I had to brace myself as best as I could, hold my breath, and hope for the best. This is the result, and while I don't think I will enlarge this to 12 x 18 inches, it is not bad for blog purposes. Hope you enjoy it....the birds probably have by now.

6 comments:

Mike de Moree said...

Love this image for its simplicity which makes it visually quite strong.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thank you for your comment Mike. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Dave

John Minkowskyj said...

I love the bokehs we photographers get using zooms. They really add to the mood of the exposures. Nicelly done, considering all magnifications you described.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey John,
Thanks for checking in and your comments also. I often get more lucky with some of these shots than I deserve to be. I guess the in camera image stabilization really does make a difference when using long lenses to the max. Dave

Richard Brewer said...

Such a simple, yet effective image, Dave. Beautiful.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks for checking in today and for your comments also Richard. One of my old mentors told me a long time ago to "keep it simple stupid" and it seems to work. Dave