Monday, September 8, 2014

Blemished but Beautiful....

Last Thursday, I indulged myself, and ordered a SONY HLV-F58AM flash from B&H Photo in New York. It was from the Used Department, or as Virgin Mobile would say, "Previously Loved" department, and rated as condition 9. Well folks, it was absolutely spotless, and came in the pouch, with the wireless stand and Owners Manual in the original box. It cost roughly 2/3rds the price of a new one, but I examined it all over, and it looked brand new, no kidding. So that was my unbiased plug for B&H in New York. USA
Having said all of that, I decided to try it out on my SONY a65 camera this afternoon whilst my good wife was doing a stir fry for supper, and take a shot or two of this rose that she had placed in a glass vase on the coffee table. She had been working in the garden on the weekend, and accidentally broke a branch off of a rose bush. There were only buds on it at the time, so she placed the branch in the vase on the table. If you look closely, you will notice that this is not a "perfect" rose, as it has several blemishes from some insect that got inside of the bud itself, and ate some of the petals, as well as a few leaves. I am one of those guys who for whatever reason, feel that even the "imperfect" amongst us deserves a time in the sun, so how to do that with this imperfect rose. I had recently bought a book on Canadian Impressionist painters, and it just came to my mind to use some of the pictures in it as backgrounds for these shots. So I opened it to a couple of pictures, and placed it about 15 inches behind, as a background.These images are to me an example of how to minimize an imperfection by surrounding it with something quite lovely. It works in art, and also in life as well......

2 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

The background works, it adds a bokeh for the rose.
Congrats on the new flash.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks for your comments John. I had never tried this before, and found it to be and interesting outcome....the new flash is wonderful. Dave