Sunday, September 21, 2014

By Erie's Shores.....

Today, we took a little drive out in Essex County, and eventually found ourselves on the shores of Lake Erie in Kingsville, Ontario. The beach seemed to go on forever, and when we finally got to the water's edge, I could not help but take a few black and white shots of the water and rocks. It seems that every time you open a magazine or other photography "how to" book these days, you come across the inevitable photo of water flowing, either in a stream or at the ocean side. For some reason, which bewilders me no end, it seems that the only proper "artistic" rendering of water in motion depicts water which looks all smooth and
frothy. It makes me imagine that somewhere upstream out of camera sight, there is a large truck dumping a whole load of Alka Seltzer into the stream.....totally unnatural to me. Remember in years gone by when all of the lights on the Christmas trees had Angel Hair over them? That is somewhat how it translates to my mind.....or what's left of it....At any rate, when I encounter waves crashing on the rocks beside a lake or ocean, or water flowing downstream, my preference is to have it look like "water". To some folks, this approach may not be too artsy, but I happen to be more of a realist...I think....

No comments: