Saturday, November 1, 2014

My Other Thing.....

For those of you who have wondered why I haven't posted many images lately, the image of this mess on the left, is what happened when I decided to spend a little more time on my other passion, my diatonic accordion. When you have two very different interests, that both tug at you with equal force, it is often difficult to balance things, and also do all of the other "normal" things that life demands. About 43 years ago, I bought this old "box" to revive a childhood pleasure while growing up in Newfoundland, which was playing the old folk songs on a Hohner diatonic accordion. So I purchased this one brand new from the distributor in Toronto. My wife was somewhat puzzled about this, as I had never mentioned to her while we were dating that this was something that I used to do.....I didn't want to take that chance eh? Anyway, this old box has had many many sessions playing what is often referred to as "Newfoundland Kitchen Music" and has provided many hours of pleasure....or torture....depending on your point of view I guess. Refurbishing an instrument like this is a very time consuming and tedious endeavor, and once you start, your cannot stop, because if you left it in one place too long, it would likely wind up in the garbage can. But I suppose there are those who would suggest, that is where it belongs anyway. Pitiful people they are! The gold colored tape had to be very carefully stripped off, and then any air leaks carefully sealed before the new tape is reapplied. I replaced the gold tape with black tape, which I like the look of very much.
So, this is the finished product, and as you can see I got all artsy with the image that I conjured up on my computer, and transferred to the grill cloth on the treble key side. This was a project that gave me a lot of satisfaction, as I had never tried to refurbish a fairly battered up old squeeze box before. Now the bellows is super tight, and I am hoping that it will be able to endure many more years of sessions that last hours long at a time. As it turns out, I have one more accordion to do, but maybe I will turn my attention to photography for a while, and leave it for some cold winter nights when I don't feel like spending hours on the computer editing photos, and printing. Maybe I will put a North Atlantic Puffin on the grill cloth of the next one I do.......Good night folks!

2 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Thank You for the story. You have another great talent, playing the squeeze box and rebuilding them. Good job, Dave.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks for your comment John. I recently joined a great group here in Windsor who play Celtic music, and we have had some really great sessions. Dave