Sunday, October 18, 2015

Last of the Summer Roses

A couple of nights ago, we had our first real frost of the season, and my wife rescued a few of the roses still blooming in our back yard. They smelled so wonderful when she placed them on the kitchen table. Tonight I thought I would photograph them, and instead of using the usual flash guns with some bounce devices, I decided to paint them with light using a little LED flashlight. They were shot at f11 on BULB setting. The camera was on a tripod of course, and I held the remote trigger cord while I moved around it with the flashlight. There was no light in the kitchen when I did this, and I think this image was sort of what I had in mind. If some of you were interested in what I used for the background, I used about 4 feet of the roll of material that is used to spread on the ground to help prevent weeds from growing up through when you lay decorative bricks or stones. I hung it on the clothesline and sprayed it with some left over coffee that I had brewed, instead of throwing it down the sink. After it had dried, it gave me somewhat the effect that I wanted behind the bouquet and vase...hope it is somewhat pleasing to some folks who might pause a moment to read this.

2 comments:

jminkowskyj@ebhwarchitecture.ca said...

Nice subtle lighting, comes off really well.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks John, glad you enjoyed it. It was great to see all of you again when I "crashed" the last meeting. It was fun. Dave