Sunday, June 26, 2016

RAW Roses Still Life....

For the most part, most of my photography up till now has been shot as jpegs, and I decided to give the RAW format a go for a change. This image was shot in a ramshackle studio set up, and I will be the first to admit that I am lacking quite a bit of skill when it comes to still life set ups. However, we must all start somewhere, and make as many mistakes as we can, because that is how we learn what NOT to do. Just ask Thomas Edison about that....but I digress. Anyway, for this image, I used a Bowens 750WS monolight as the key light, with a red gel filter over the 15 inch beauty dish. The fill light was a Bowens 200WS light with a soft box, and I used a really really old Bowens 400WS light with a snoot on it for a bit of back lighting. Most of this gear is left over from my Wedding and Portrait photography days, somewhere in the misty distant past....but I digress yet again eh! This image is not really simple or clean enough for my liking, but it was a first attempt at studio still life for quite a while, so I am cutting myself a little slack on it. The thing that I like about it is the lighting is soft enough that the highlight areas of the yellow material surrounding the vase, is not too blown out, and the red gel on the beauty dish paints some nice pinkish colours on the material which mimics the colours in the roses a bit. The roses came from our garden, and were so heavy, they were dragging on the ground, so my much better half saw fit to snip them for our dinner table. They smelled just lovely, and I hope you enjoy it also.....

2 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

I can smell the roses, already.
The vase looks like it's hovering. I like the colours and lighting.
You say this is your first attempt at shooting RAW. I always shot jpeg till about 2 1/2 yrs ago. Never looked back. You have so much more control when you shoot RAW. Too bad I didn't listen to others about the quality that can be achieved through RAW, I could have saved so many of my shots that weren't quite up-to-par.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks for your comments John. Hope to do a few portraits in RAW soon, and that will likely be the clincher for me. Hope Summer is going well for you, and maybe will be North a couple more times before the snow flies again. Cheers, Dave