Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Northern Sentinel.....

This old red pine was a muse of mine for several years, and I photographed it mostly in Black & White and in the Winter time. When it came up in conversation with my son recently, I went on a hunt to see if I could find a colour image of it. Luckily, I was able to dig up and old Kodachrome slide tucked away in my many binders. So I decided to scan it and do a little work on it digitally..... Cibachrome prints are a thing of the past, and was a rather tedious process. Anyway, one early Summer's day, I went to photograph this old tree again, and found it rendered to ashes, with numerous beer bottles and cans scattered amonst them. Since it was just a few days after high school graduation, it was too easy to conclude that end of the school year celebrations had taken place, and this old pine met its demise. It would be easy to heap scorn and derision on these unseen individuals, but we were all young at one time, and very few of us escaped commiting totally senseless acts.....some of us learned from past mistakes, and others need more "lessons" from the school of life....

1 comment:

John Minkowskyj said...

True enough.