Sunday, January 15, 2017

Another Time and Place.....

Well the New Year has arrived, and it is time to try to return to normal again, or whatever could be loosely construed as normal. Is anything "normal" anymore? Would we be able to tell? It seems that the world has gone bonkers in the last few months, and thankfully, I have my photography and musical interests to be preoccupied with. To watch the news channels is unbearable for me now. As such, it was not too difficult to find myself digging up some old negatives to work on a bit. People photography has long been an obsession of mine, and for the most part, I tend to stay away from the looking at the camera and smiling....or glaring at it, which seems to be in vogue these days, type of shots. This image sort of portrays a certain moodiness or angst, which I personally find more interesting. Some might say that it is too "posed" or "contrived" and not "candid" enough. It seems that the candid photos have evolved or dare I say, degenerated, depending on your personal opinions of it all, into the currently popular "selfies". It seems that the days when a photographer took great care in doing an elegant portrait of someone, anyone, have gone by the wayside, in favor of the sassy and glib that makes not much of a statement of any kind. The guys or gals who do "street" photography certainly make statements of many kinds...but most of them are also able to run really fast. So I tend to meet folks on a casual basis, and eventually, weeks or months later, get around to having them let me do a few shots of them. Occasionally, I get to make a few nice portraits of folks who have never had one before.....it keeps me sane folks. Want to feel good this New Year? Do something nice for someone....

No comments: