Monday, May 1, 2017

Backyard Blue Blossoms.....

This image was taken in our back yard a couple of days ago. The lighting was flat, in fact it was almost dark outside. The appearance of a sunny day is provided by my off camera flash which was placed in the grass behind the little blossoms. It was triggered by the on camera pop up flash, and this setup usually gives me a 2/1 lighting ratio. I like to back light flowers etc, and the nice thing about using off camera lighting is that you do not need a nice sunny day in order to make an image. Lately I have found that I almost prefer shooting on dull days, or a subject in the darkened shadows. Then it is just a matter of setting up the automatic wireless flash lighting, and you have full control of the direction and quality of the lighting and the resulting image. If necessary, white foam core reflector cards can be used to also help with filling in any shadow areas. It is not nearly as difficult as it may sound....give it a try, and enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this. It gives me the feeling of early morning, with a coffee and the robins chirping. And that's a great feeling...

David c.h. Brown said...

Thank you Anonymous....speaking of Robins, I have one nesting in a climbing rose bush beside my back deck with 3 little blue eggs....stay posted.