Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Tiger Lily.....

Today I decided to get with the program, so I bought a new "Monopod" that everyone seems to be using these days. For years, I used tripods to keep the camera steady, but have you ever tried to use one along a rocky coastline, or while standing in a stream or river? You spend more time adjusting the legs to different lengths, to get something resembling level, before you ever get to snap a photo. The Monopod seemed somewhat of an excuse for a tripod to me, and how could it possibly be of any use. This image and the one below was shot at a shutter speed of 1/15 sec. and the thing seems to do a pretty good job of enabling to shoot at fairly slow shutter speeds. However, I must also figure in the fact that the in body image stabilizer was also turned on in my camera, so that probably helped as well....whatever it takes I guess. This Tiger Lily was hiding away in the shade behind my garage. It had not yet wilted as the temperature got up to +42C here in Windsor today. So later on when it cooled down to +30C, I ventured out to take a few shots in the back yard, and to give the Monopod another chance to convince me that it was not money wasted.....actually, I think the silly thing might just get used a bit eh.....Oh, BTW, in addition to the "Illustration" mode used to take this image, I also use the Craquelure filter in PS3, and added the frame using Corel software.

2 comments:

John Minkowskyj said...

Two great shots, nice to see some new work. On the 'Tiger Lily' photo you used the image stabilizer along with you monopod. Usually the camera manufacturers recommend you don't use the image stabilizer with a tripod. Even though the tripod is stationary the stabilizer might 'jiggle' and provide movement in the photo. With a monopod there still might be slight movement an d the stabilizer made up for it.

David c.h. Brown said...

Thanks for your comment John, glad you enjoyed them. I did not think of turning off the in body image stabilizer when I shot the images. It only occurred to me that it was on while I was writing the post. But, I think likely that I would have left it on anyway.....so much "garbage" on these new cameras anymore eh? I guess that is why I still am hanging on to my old film bodies...LOL! Cheers! Dave